Interesting Podcasts with a Different Topic Each Episode

There are countless podcasts that cover a new topic each episode, but I can tell you: it's not easy to keep me interested after a few topics! 

So here is a list of the podcasts that have kept me interested and entertained regardless of the topic!

1. Underunderstood

Covers: Questions that google doesn't have the answer to.

My favorite episode: 'Who is John, the Psychic Santa from the Circle?'

This podcast is very satisfying to me, a person who googles everything and gets incredibly frustrated when it doesn't give me an answer. In this pod, a group of friends sets out to figure out the answers to the questions google doesn't have an answer for. 

2. Nice Try

Covers: Season one 'Utopias' and Season two 'Household items'

My favorite episode: 'Disney World: Celebrating Utopia'

Although the two topics in this podcast are completely seperate from each other, both make for some fascinating episodes! The host gets to the bottom of how people tried to set up Utopias and why they didn't work out, in season one. In season two, they uncover the hidden stories behind everyday household items like matrasses and the doorbell.

3. Stuff You Should Know

Covers: Everything. I'm not kidding.

My favorite episode: Operation Mincemeat

First, I have to warn you that if you find it hard to listen to podcasts with many ads, this isn't the podcast for you! However, even with the insane amount of ads, this podcast has remained a favorite of mine for years. Hosts Josh and Chuck decide on a topic, both research it for a day or two and then they come together to chat about it! They are super chill and their chatter is comperable to some good comfort food to me!

4. 99% Invisible

Covers: Design

My favorite episode: De fiets is niets

Educational and super entertaining, which is probably why this podcast has set the golden standard for topical podcasts. Roman Mars covers all sorts of everyday design that you might not have noticed before. From music, to buildings to the way different societies are set up, I assure you that this podcast will change your outlook on a few things!

5. Twenty Thousand Hertz

Covers: Everything audio

My favorite episode: Ted Lasso's Dark Forrest

I can listen to passionate people talk about their area of expertise for hours. Twenty Thousand Hertz tells amazing stories of audio engineering for TV, markting and more! In the Ted Lasso episode they explain how the audio of the hit TV-show came about and how they had to improvise to get the right sound during covid. A fascinating look inside the kitchen!

6. Short History Of...

Covers: Moments in history

My favorite episode: D.B. Cooper

I promise I don't only love this podcast because each episode is almost an hour long and I can get a lot of chores done in that time! But it sure is helpful. Even though I knew most of the stories in this podcast, I was pleasently surprised by the immersive storytelling and the interesting interviews with experts!

7. Ologies with Allie Ward

Covers: Anything that anyone specializes in

My favorite episode: Ciderology (DELICIOUS APPLE BEVERAGE) with Gabe Cook

Allie Ward is not afraid to ask dumb questions to experts and I love her for it. She has a very comforting way of talking and I come back to old episodes each fall because it just feels like the perfect cosy fall listen. That doesn't mean she hasn't covered darker, deeper topics like gravesites, disabilities and cultural heritage. But whatever topic Allie covers, it will be done with grace and kindness. And some stupid questions that I am also secretly asking in my head.

7. Surprisingly Brilliant

Covers: Stories from science history

My favorite episode: The discovery of dragons

This podcast is hosted by two great science communicators! Each episode one of them has researched a story and tells it to the other. Due to their knowledge, they often get chatting about the story and it's a very fun listen! Even if you, like me, don't know much about science.

8. Search Engine

Covers: Relevant questions in todays age

My favorite episode: Wait, Should I not be Drinking Airplane Coffee?

This podcast is a recent find, but has already won me over with a bunch of great episodes answering interesting questions! I love that each episode is around 40 minutes and the documentary style storytelling. The host is the same each episode, he has a nice personality, which makes it an extra comfortable listen.

9. Articles of Interest

Covers: Stories of (everyday) fashion

My favorite episode: The Corduroy Appreciation Club

I thought I wasn't interested in fashion: turns out I actually am!! This podcast is a spin of off 99% invisible, so you know you are in for some great quality reporting! The host is engaging and the stories interesting even for fashion noobs like me!

10. Swindled

Covers: Cases of swindlers

My favorite episode: The Balloon Boy

In each episode, the swindled host covers the story of a fraudster, from start to finish, using audio from the news and interviews done by the main characters. The host has a very monotone, dry way of speaking that might take some getting used to, but it's worth a try as every episode is of amazingly high quality!



Want to save this list on pinterest? Here is an image! Thanks for sharing!




Comments