Wholesome TV-Shows To Watch Now

Oh, to escape to a fictional place where things always end up going in the right direction. I love TV shows that transport you to a small town and make you forget the busy world around you! 

1. Heartland

This show made me want to start a horse ranch in Canada after a few episodes. And I hadn't even thought about horses since I stopped pony riding at like, age 8, so that says something. The main character Amy loses her mother in the first episode. She then goes on to follow in her mother's footsteps as someone who works with problem horses. The first few seasons are super family-friendly as well, though at some point everyone grows up and more adult topics come up. Still, the shots are beautiful, the characters are funny and relatable and the storylines are peak wholesome. 

2. Sweet Magnolia's

While many Netflix adaptions are too dark for my taste (anyone sees the trailer for the new WINX show??) Sweet Magnolia's was a wonderful surprise. It's all about friendship and getting through struggles through communication. It's a rarity for me not to scream 'JUST TALK TO EACHOTHER!!' while watching a drama show. And I don't recall ever screaming it while watching this. So, do with that information what you will ;)

3. Dr. Quinn Medicine Women

Maybe it's because I grew up watching this show, but I couldn't leave it out of this list. Dr. Quinn is a doctor at a time where female doctors are a rarity. So when she heads to a small desert town, she is in for quite a challenge. In 6 seasons, she has the tough task of winning over the hearts of the people in town. And then especially the heart of a certain handsome, horseback riding, man from the mountains...

4. Girl Boss

I wondered if I could classify this as wholesome, but hey, this is my list and this show made me happy and actually a little bit inspired.  It is a funny story about a girl who gets rich reselling thrifted pieces. Don't get me wrong, I don't love resellers. But a show that has scenes that take place in thrift stores (one of my favorite places on earth): that's still a fun watch for me! There are many lovable characters in the show and it's just a very easy watch.  


5. Younger

If you throw Broadway star Sutton Foster and the star-of-my-childhood Hillary Duff into one female power comedy show, you can be assured I will watch it! The premise of the show is that a 40-year-old women gets mistaken for a millennial and... just goes with it. She gets a job and a boyfriend without anyone realizing that she is older than she looks. Drama ensues, obviously. Now I will admit, this show did stress me out more than once. My nerves aren't always strong enough to endure people almost getting caught in a lie. But it is still a great watch! 

6. Chuck

This show I recommend to everyone, at all times. It is so charming, the storylines are interesting but it's really all about the characters. All the other shows in this list mainly target a female audience, but this show is great for everyone. The story revolves around Chuck, a dude who works at a local computer store after flunking out of college. When one day, he get's an email from an old classmate that imprints a database with information of all government agencies into his brain. When a topic from the database comes up, Chuck 'flashes' and sees all the information in front of him. Needless to say this complicates his life a little bit. It's a lovely combination of spy comedy and family/friends drama of normal life. 

7. A Place to Call Home

This show plays out just after world war two. Sarah Adams is a nurse who, after 20 years of living in Europe, comes back home in Australia. But she doesn't have that much there, and due to a chance meeting on the way there, she takes a job in a rural town she knew nothing about. This show gives you a fascinating glimpse into life at the time, with a lot of different storylines for all the characters. Because of the different time, but relatable topics, I found this show a great escape from normal life! Just sitting down with a cup of tea and getting sucked into the village of Inverness. Though I might have to warn you, there is a lot of heavy topics in this one. It deals with all of them with grace, but it made me tear up a lot too. 

8. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

This show has fashion, jokes, strong characters and incredibly aesthetic filmmaking. I've come to find that some people really don't like the humor in this show, so I'd recommend watching the trailer and checking before you start watching. Personally, I haven't enjoyed all the jokes the main character tells on stage (she is a stand up comedian in the 1950's) but the humor throughout the show made me laugh out loud a TON. Visually, this is maybe the best tv-show I've watched. 

9. Dance Academy

My sister will laugh at me for adding this show, since it's one we used to watch as children. But I rewatched it recently and was surprised at how well this show holds up! There are pretty adult topics that flew over my head as a kid and the storylines were super interesting. The show follows Tara, who comes from a farm but is selected to study at... a prestigious dance academy. There are wonderful dance scenes to look forward to and many fun twists and turns. 

10. Virgin River

If you haven't seen this show you might be living under a rock. For some reason, it got two seasons almost without time in between and the third season is already on the way! This show feels very much like a Hallmark production (though it is not!). It's just on the verge of being too sweet, but I love it for it! This show is really a great way to escape to a beautiful mountain town where a nurse sets out to make a new start in her life. She'll just be staying for a year, or so she thinks in the first few episodes!

11. Little Voice

Do you like music? This one might be for you. It's a sweet story of a girl who likes to write songs, but she can't really afford to go for a carriere in singing. But, there are some fun characters around her to support her, write with her and give her advice. I really loved the music in this show, all of it was written by Sara Berailles. The voice of the main actress is awesomely soothing and the whole thing feels like a sugary dream or something. 

12. Chesapeake Shores

The queen of wholesomeness is obviously Hallmark, you must have seen one of their flat-character-with-a-dream -she'll-inevitably-make-reality movies. (No shade, I love 'em). But, this show is a bit different, because flat characters in TV-shows are really hard to work with. So the characters have some depth, but I think they did a great job of keeping things low-key and wholesome. (in a this-is-very-much-not-realistic-but-I-wish-it-was kind of way ;)


That is it for now, but I will be updating this list if I find anything to add!

Do you want to pin this list? Here is a picture! Thanks for sharing!




Comments